Data Analysis

Collected Data in %

1. Besides Local Catchment and NEWater, what could Singapore implement to increase our water supply?




Based on our Findings , we can see that most people would prefer relying on Desalination than The other 2 choices , New Technology and importing water. We would agree to our findings as we think they would think that way as After 50 years or so , when Malaysia stops supplying us water, to find another country whom would agree to sell water to us would be hard . Implementing new technology would require Singapore to have an outstanding breakthrough in this field , which is not reliable. The most reliable one would be Desalination as Singapore already has a desalination plant at work. The most safe and reliable way now would be to add more desalination plants.

2. How long do you think Singapore can sustain itself in terms of having clean water to drink?

Based on our findings, we can see that majority of the people think Singapore would be able to sustain itself for above 40 years (36.5% for 40-50 Years and 28% For Above 50 Years). This could be because Singaporeans have faith in our government to be able to come up with methods to solve our lack of water, or maybe they have faith in the 3 national taps (Not including imported water). Personally, I feel that Singapore would be able to sustain itself up to a decade or so before the population rise and our national taps would not output enough water to sustain the whole nation.

Based on one of our sources (PUB), it states that Desalination plants can meet up to 25% of our current water needs and NEWater could meet up to 30% of our current water needs. Based on just 2 of our national taps, Singapore today could meet up to 55% of our current water needs. Since Singapore is still using imported water, this proves that the reservoirs could not output the other 45% we need, and therefore Singapore would not be able to output 100% of the water demand and we would only be able to self-sustain for less than a decade. Therefore, our findings does not match our sources.


PUB Website: http://www.pub.gov.sg/water/Pages/singaporewaterstory.aspx

3. An example of a local catchment is Bukit Timah Reservoir and Punggol Reservoir do you agree it is a sustainable water source?

Based on our findings , 32% of people disagreed that local catchment was a reliable source .This could be due to because Local catchment relies on Rain water.Rainwater is collected through a comprehensive network of drains, canals, rivers, storm-water collection ponds and reservoirs before it is treated for drinking water supply(PUB).However, Recently , Rain has been a problem in Singapore and Singapore has been raining very little lately. Hence people disagree.

However , Many people, 68% has agreed that local catchment is a sustainable source. Perhaps , they believe that if you see in the recent years , Local catchment water is a pillar of our sustainable water supply. Since 2011, the water catchment area has been increased from half to two-thirds of Singapore’s land surface with the completion of the Marina, Punggol and Serangoon Reservoir. (PUB) http://www.pub.gov.sg/water/Pages/singaporewaterstory.aspx
Perhaps they think that local catchment will be a good source as it has a big area to collect water from.

4. The year is 2062 now , and the water contract with Malaysia has expired .Assume the there is no continuation of the contract. What challenges do you think Singapore will face in terms of getting water? ( part 2 )



5. Will Singapore implement something to increase our water supply? If yes, list some possible implementation.

Based on our findings, Most people, 87% said that singapore will implement something to increase our water supply . Perhaps they believe that the government will do something to make sure water continues to not be a problem in singapore. However , when time passes to 2061, and malaysia cuts the contract with us,

6.What do you think Singapore will introduce to increase the water supply?

graph.png

No comments:

Post a Comment